Monday, July 02, 2007

Flovida Stage 4

We woke up very late this morning. Keir took me to the University of Florida to see Lake Alice, where we sought to see an alligator. We did indeed. We spotted no less than three alligators and five turtles, as well as a myriad conglomeration of birds, lizards, and arthropods (spiders and insects). It was an alien place. I felt like we were in the Jurassic as we walked through the humid forest, pushing aside great fronds and dodging gigantic ant mounds.
After that we went to see the FLORIDA MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY, although I doubt that it is the only one in Florida.It has a fantastic Lepidoptera (butterfly) exhibit, since Florida is THE place to go if you want to study butterflies (or biology, for that matter) in the United States. It also featured the Megalodon, a gigantic shark that was perhaps one hundred feet long (and included a section that showed where the Megalodon has been referenced--DnD Monster Book fan service!!!!!!). That took quite a while. When we got home, we purchased a flag to stomp on the street and we filmed ourselves stomping it (the flag). It will be an integral part of our music video, Nerds Gone Wild 2.5. At 7, a bunch of guys came over for poker. You all should have seen it. I pwned that game as if it was a turtling Zerg nooblet and I was, well, me. I was in the lead (or very close) up until people started leaving. Then I lost interest and my uber-bluffing skills declined. I did beat out a very buff farmboy though.
Keir's friends are cool and I'm having an awesome time. This is a good trip. Tomorrow we will hit one of Florida's infamous springs and raft down it. On Wednesday, we shall journey to Richard's house and edit our music video there, and then we will assist him in shooting off his fireworks later that night.

Memo: The rocks that I noted yesterday prove, upon further inspection, to be of volcanic origin. I cannot remember which type; IPS was long ago.

1 comment:

David said...

If it is volcanic is is likely Basalt. It could be Andesite though.