All right.
So, this is the first post in a while. Things have really been chugging along here. I am always really busy; I have 18 credits and I'm auditing classes that total 3 credits, as well as playing in 2 games of DnD (1 of which is my Pathfinder game, and the other is a 4th ed game in which I'm a half-werewolf (shifter) warden (think fighter+warlord)), doing a 2-hour body class each week, practicing WAY too much for my 2-credit conducting class, and working on an additional Greek music theory project (which I actually haven't started reading for...and the essay is due on the 4th). SO, LMFAO @ Time management!!!!
All right, so Halloween was good. I was kind of apprehensive since I didn't get invited to any parties or anything and I couldn't find anyone to hang out with, but it turned out all right. There were liberal sprinklings of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. throughout. I took my first trip to the grocery Trading Co in town and I got lost coming back int he dark and it took me an hour to get back to my dorm. In a town that is fucking 8 streets by 10 streets. BUT they are confusingly oriented! Look at Google Maps sometime. Anyhow, after that I got back and suited up in my Ganondorf costume. I had been working on it all day, and I was able to put the finishing touches on by 8:30, including the red hair spray.
FACEBOOK FOR MORE PIX!
I wandered around campus with 2 other girls on my floor who were dressed as zombies. We did that for a while, then came back and watched about half of 28 Days Later. Also, thanks to my abundance of pilfered CWU silverware, I got a bonus Wolverine costume out of Ganondorf (complete with slicked-back hair):

This made the girl down the hall, who is really weird and EXTREMELY desperate for a boyfriend, "really happy" (*_*). (Whenever we all go out for breakfast or something she sits next to me and rubs her legs up on me and stuff. I always forget to sit in a landlocked seat so that she can't sit by me. And no David, it's not great, it's fucking creepy and terrible.)
After that I talked to the mega Christian girl who is the weird girl's roommate. She is actually a lot of fun, just like Lucy (LUVS YA LUCE!@!). Stalker after that, and that was my Halloween.
Since then I have just been working my ass off. Pathfinder and DnD have been taking a lot more of my time than is prudent, but that's just the way that it will be for a while. They recently released a playtest for the new Cavalier and Oracle classes in their Advanced Player's Guide, so I've been reading forums religiously, just like the old days of FESS. Those...were actually kind of good days, if you get rid of the shitty middle school angst and despair (actually, that's not that different from now :P).
Conducting class just gets more and more fucking awesome. The professor is kind of like a spiritual guide. He combines physics, human nature, music, and the nature of the universe and the power of humans in such an awesome way.
Also I have recently made a lot more good friends in the music building who are REALLY smart. We've been having lots of philosophical discussions. When I wear Charlie's tweed jacket from the sixties, I totally look the part too:
OTHER THINGS OF INTEREST:
1) One of my floormates carved a pumpkin of me:
Awesome.
2) I do not know the extent to which I wrote about my neighbor in room 626 (I'm 625). On the first day of school he was smoking weed and the flautist and I reported him. SOMEHOW, despite the police's strict "no strikes" policy, he remained enrolled. From then on, he proceeded to play his subwoofer-augmented rap music at all times of night and day. He was an incredible nuisance. Why do I say 'was?' Last week, the police took him away and he never came back. I wasn't here at the time, but I hear that they found weed and crack for sure, and possibly also meth. I had heard him talking about "needing protection" and what sounded like deals for a while. Anyway, he is gone and I am happy. I am now the proud owner of his aerated and Febreezed rug. The mighty dragon hath been defeated, and I hath looted his lair and returned with this worthy prize of my victory:
"What will you do with it," my RA (who happens to be a Paladin) asked. Who cares?! I want my loot, dammit! (it currently resides on the 7th floor with my Friday-night Rogue).
Item next:
3)We received snow on Saturday. Also, on Saturday and Friday we had our annual high school and middle-school jazz festival. I volunteered a little bit, with the consequence that I have now heard the EWU Vocal Jazz band perform the same set of songs 5 times in the past 2 or 3 weeks. This year, one of the guest artists was Benny Green, a not-unfamous jazz pianist and disciple of Oscar Peterson. We got to have a Q&A with him, and I got him to sign my program after his FACE-MELTING concert with the bass teacher from Central. So that was awesome, although it essentially destroyed my weekend.
4) I have been running with my conducting prof's ideas and talking with the smart people in that class, and they have been challenging my concepts of reality in many awesome ways. Basically I am discarding lots of objective science and medicine and learning to appreciate the power of human. I'm reading some really cool books, which I might talk about later, depending on how interested you guys are. I know that I'm being vague, but I'm just trying to gauge interest.
5) My 26-year old guitarist friend gave me the whole of Abbey Road and I have been listening to it. Historically I have made a big deal out of shitting on the Beatles, but this album is actually fucking amazing. It's funny because it has those 3 or 4 songs (Come Together, Octopus' Garden, Here Comes the Sun, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window) that are really overplayed, and those are actualy the worst songs on the album. All the others are really cool, and actually remind me of Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young a lot, as well as other stuff of that type. But there are a lot of really cool and cutting edge sounds and ideas on this album. So as far as the Beatles, or at least only as far as Abbey Road, I can finally say: I get it.
6) I don't think I've ever told you guys, since I didn't realize this until about midway through last year, but I have synesthesia. For me, each note is associated with a different color. However, since I don't have perfect pitch, I have to intellectually know what note is been heard. It's really interesting because I never thought it was unique (or I never noticed it for that reason) until last year when we were talking about composers with synesthesia. It actually has a lot to do with my perception of music, styles, keys, and moods.
6) (and this is the big one) My Sense Motive has never been that great for amorous matters (although recently it has been pwning up non-amorous matters), so I'm very likely not qualified to comment on this, but I kind of think I have 3 amorous prospects right now. (This is not counting the literal-Bible girl because even though she is mega hot and I like flirting with her, 1) I'm not getting that vibe, and 2) let's be honest, it would never work out anyway XD).
So, one girl lives in my dorm and is doing ROTC. She is also a Christian. You would think that that would have stopped my cold, but she is actually really cute and gets most of my jokes, or at least tries for Chrissakes. Fun to hang out with, but pretty footloose. True Neutral.
Another is a flute player and is in my conducing class. She is one of the small corps (4 or 5 of us) that meet early before conducting classes and thinks that Julian (the teacher) is more inspiring than Christ. We are, as he described, "on the same wavelength" in things, so that is really cool. Smart and very funny (but I wouldn't go for anything else, ne?). I think Neutral Good moving towards Lawful or True Neutral.
The other girl is a singer who is in my body class (Alexander technique, to be specific). She is really shy and really cute and didn't ever say much until Monday, when somehow the topic of Ayn Rand came up. She is a huge objectivist and is super smart. I was, and still am, blown away by how thoughtful and intelligent she is, how she actually considers new ideas and always uses LOGIC for EVERYTHING! Very cool. We talked for an hour after that class, and then an hour and a half yesterday when we met to exchange Aristotle and Ayn Rand. Damn I tell you, this woman is SMART and going in totally the right direction, self- and society-wise. Lawful Neutral; she makes my Lawful Neutral look like Chaotic Good.
Anyhow, there are these three women that I'm kind of trying to balance (not unlike Ein in Riviera, non?) and I'm not sure where any of this is going to head. Guess I'm a little worried that this is the feast before the famine; that is, what if I waste three good opportunities and when it's over the timing has destroyed them all so I'm back to square one? But, I kind of don't think that way so much anymore, because I know that I have the power to shape my own reality. WOW! Isn't that awesome.
I'm using lots of effusion and bombast here, which is rather unlike my usual style, but somehow it feels right. Here is a statement of my personal philosophy that I wrote for my honors class. Why am I attaching it? I don't know.
One thing that is interesting is that alignmnents tend to group together; I have Lawful Good people here that have only Lawful Good friends. I'm Lawful Neutral, and all you guys are some Neutral. Even Rosa and Lucy, (who occasionally read this blog), are at the very least Good moving towards Neutral, if not Neutral already. It seems like it would be obvious, but it's really interesting to me.
This uses Greek. Arete is excellence in kind or potential
Telos is that for the sake of which; or, the purpose.
Phusis is the law of nature or of human nature
Nomos is a cultural law or convention.
Voila:
•Perfection may be unattainable, but it is not necessarily impossible. One must always strive towards the perfection of arethai, no matter the cost. This is the telos of humanity.
•The self is the highest being. Do whatever is necessary to further your arethai and personal development, without infringing on the development of others. Every person should be allowed to develop their own arethai so long as they do not harm, hinder, or destroy others, or show a depraved or careless attitude towards life or nature.
•Strive for order and a lawful existence, no matter what you believe about cosmic Order, Chaos, or the nature of the universe or humanity. Work to develop continuity of character while remaining flexible.
•Phusis states that Entropy will always prevail. Live within this ideal, yet endeavor to disrupt the chaos of the universe and replace it with order, even though it is, in all probability, impossible.
•Work to educate others about the nature of the universe, phusis, and telos. When you meet others, give them a chance to prove themselves. If they are worthy, align yourself with them and work to further their goals as well as your own. In this way, you are furthering your own arethai, because you value in others what you value in yourself.
•Be critical and objective, and use logic whenever possible. Recognize that emotions and irrationality are part of being a human and accept and embrace them; however, work always to unify the rational and irrational mind. In this way, reason will naturally prevail because the intellect is higher than the bestial.
•Free yourself from obligations, expectations, judgments, and all external influences, save those nomoi which are necessary for a stable society
•Choices are the only thing under our control. Prepare yourself to make every choice a personal choice, and accept the consequences no matter what they are.
•Become literate, contemplative, and affective. Become sensitive to subtle forms of knowledge originating from outside the self. Seek the relationships between all things and use that knowledge to further the search for the Truth of human existence.
•Your time is limited. Use every opportunity for learning, contemplation, and personal development.
•Enjoy yourself and rejoice in your own company and accomplishments, as well as the company and accomplishments of others whom you love.
•All reality consists of games. Play those you enjoy; ignore those you do not. When the time comes, create your own game.
I think that I have covered pretty much everything. Should I find something else, I'll append it later.
Oh, and academic plans! Right now I plan to get 3 majors: secondary music ed, piano performance, and composition, as well as 2 minors: a minor in historical philosophy and then possibly English or Humanities. Also, I will be getting a 30-45 credit Jazz certificate.
By the way, this is what I really look like, with medium hair and filled-in sideburnchops:
Okay, now I actually think I am done. Also: I think that this is the most epic post I have ever written. Odysseus would be proud.
5 comments:
1) Yeah looking at Cheney on a map, it is kind of strangely oriented.
2) "And no David, it's not great, it's fucking creepy and terrible.)"
HOW DID YOU KNOW WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY?
3)ROFL at the part about looting the pothead's lair.
4)Yeah this summer I finally heard the less commonly played Beatles songs and now I like them as well. If you want more classic rock, I'm happy to lend you my collection. Even if you don't want to, there are some artists I think you should listen to anyway if you liked innovative stuff.
5) SYNESTHESIA! We learned about that in psych this year! Do you smell colors (like my black smelling sandwich that I left in my locker senior year)?
6) I think your chances would rise if you stopped describing girls based on their alignment.
7) Damn dude, update more often so it doesn't take me so long to read your posts!
I think this post exceeds the sum of all of my posts. I'm liking that shirt under Charlie's jacket. Nice.
By the way...I remembered the word "colline" the other day on a random french quiz because of Mme Myers using it when referring to you occasionally. I also had total recall for all the common verbs conjugated with etre in the passe compose. It was crazy.
I was reading this in a study lounge but I still lol'ed when i read david's comment: "6) I think your chances would rise if you stopped describing girls based on their alignment."
Intense post. 3 majors + 2 minors = craziness, but I understand where you're coming from. when you finally get to study what you want to, school gets much better.
best of luck with teh females. since you are dealing with multiple chicks, keep this important tidbit that I learned from Gossip Girl in mind: in a threesome, the third person is always supposed to be a stranger.
orion......don't give him any ideas.
i totally missed the part about the girls when I was skimming the post yesterday. please do keep us posted on your amorous affairs (it's like watching the big bang theory...but in real life!!!!!). However, I might warn you that invading a girl's personal space not once, but twice in an afternoon might put her off from ever sitting next to you again :P
I don't know if I would say "invasion." I think I would prefer "forced visit."
Post a Comment