Monday, April 27, 2009

Greece trip, part 10

This post will conclude my Greek series unless you guys pester me enough to get my appendices up, which will be pretty interesting. I am also working on a paper comparing Virgil to Bach, which is really cool. Maybe I will post that up when I get a chance.

Day 9: Monday, March 30

We woke up early and headed over to the airport. I was already packed and I was the first one downstairs, I think, something that happens rarely if ever. We headed over to the airport (across the street) and went to the British Air lounge (which had videogame screens as framed on its walls) for free food and drink. Amy suddenly realized that she left her camera in the hotel (!!!) and ran back to get it; thankfully, it turned out all right and she made it back in time for the flight. I spent most of my time talking to Dr. Pappas and listening to music, looking out the window. We flew over the Alps. They are breathtaking. I’ve listened to Ecstasy in Numbers while flying over the Alps!!
We made it and disembarked. We had a seven-hour layover at London-Heathrow. The BA lounge here was in fact very BA. They had free food and drink all day, free internet, showers, and (unfortunately) an open bar. I kept my mouth shut, but I think Ryan told me that our group emptied four bottles of Smirnoff, and it showed. We amused ourselves with Facebook, card games, and shopping. I went shopping with Jess, feeling undeservedly whipped as I waited for her to try on clothes and look at other stuff—but, let’s face it, I had nothing else to do. We saw some Scottish soccer fans sporting their kelts and flags around the airport.
Finally, seven hours had passed and we boarded the plane. We were flying business class, which means that we each got our own little cubicle with personal TV and a seat and footrest that folded down to make a pretty good bed. The flight was long, but we sat all in a row so we were able to talk. Nate spent a lot of the flight helping the elderly British gentleman seated next to him (and a I got a funny picture out of it, too). When we arrived in Seatac, the booze and olive oil that some bought in Greece got through security without a hitch, which made me quite angry since the shopkeeps in Greece had told us that it wouldn’t and that is why I didn’t buy any. It was sad to leave all of my friends, but I was glad to meet my parents again (at least for the first five minutes, anyway). The rest of the night was like watching a silent movie…something so plain after something so extraordinary.

Remember: this trip has changed you. I doubt you’ll forget seeing Odysseus’ ship at Patras, or trekking up Delphi devoid of an oracle, or of the night when you told Jess about Scriabin’s Prometheus and felt the stars swirl above you and saw Polyphemus in the mirror. In fact, that and the trip to North Bend are really just continuations of this story, but time will determine whether they are really worth remembering. Be strong; share this experience with everyone who will listen and never give up.
And above all, remember:

It’s all the same.

No comments: