Monday, January 16, 2006

Today is your day

As you very well know, today is national Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Today we remember a man who fought against The Man, fought against segregation and discrimination. Quite frankly, I have no idea what it was like back when Dr. King was still alive, but I have heard stories, and I'm sure you have too. But today is not just another day off of school for us. Do what you will with your days, your weeks, your months, your years. But think as you go along. Think about what it would feel like to drink from a separate fountain, to use a separate restroom, to live in a heterogenous neighborhood. Think about what it took to get from where we were yesterday to where we are today. Think about how to get there faster. Most of all, just think. I'm proud to live in a country whose ideals are founded on acceptance; regardless of its present state. And for my less accepting readers, do your thing. Go do your gay bashing, go call people retards, go around spouting the n-word. But remember this: a new era is coming, an era of love and inclusiveness. The oppressed are standing up and opening their eyes. And once they've stood up, they are never going to sit down again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully agree.

blitzmoose said...

Remember that Martin Luther King Jr. Day is not a day off, but a day to remember his dream and share it with him.

blitzmoose said...

and share it with others.

David said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David said...

i um agree too